Thursday, July 17, 2014

Newborn Kidnapped by Japan.

My wife, Anna Spooner, just went though the most painful labor experience of her life (and she's already had three kids) and now the doctors won't let her hold her new baby. They are at Nagoya City University Hospital. I'd appreciate your intercession on our behalf, especially if you can speak Japanese.

"Why?" I'll be glad to tell you... The short version is that Japan has kidnapped my new-born son.
Newborn Barnabas. At the time of this writing, this was the last time they let me hold him.
The long version... well...
I don't use the word "kidnapped" lightly, and I feel the need to justify my statement, so if you're up for it, let's go over the course of events.

We have been in Japan for about four months now (see the rest of this blog for more stories about that), and my wife, Anna, was pregnant when we got here. She's been going to see the doctors regularly. There has been a lot of hassle running around filling out papers (and a lot more to come, no doubt) but we knew that would be the case before we arrived. We were prepared to deal with the bureaucracy. Paperwork rigmarole isn't kidnap, but it certainly can be an accomplice to it.

The due-date (July 10) came and went without the onset of labor (as it has with all three of my previous children). Five days later, we agreed to induced labor, and on Tuesday the 15th of July, 2014, Anna was admitted to Nagoya City University Hospital. We signed a release form saying that they could use drugs to induce labor, and perform a C-section if it came to that (which it didn't, thank God). There was no form mentioning what would happen to the baby, so we figured we could keep him!

Assumed wrongly as it turns out.
Before the baby was born... waiting for labor to begin.
In the US, being induced basically means "Buckle up, because we're cranking the Pitocin up to eleven! I hope you wanted an epidural!" But in Japan, they do things differently. They don't do epidurals (or painkillers of any sort) for one thing. The birth rate is a lot lower here as well, so there's low demand for birth centers, and thus no rush to get mothers out quickly. As a result, "being induced" in Japan is a much more gentle process... at least starting out.

The first day they gave Anna some oral pills. She had some contractions, but they were so slight that she took a couple naps right through them. But she got three square meals (without anesthesia there's no need to fast) and she was comfortable. No progress (still 2 cm, same as when she was admitted). I spent the night sleeping on a chair. Fathers aren't really expected to participate in the process, so we aren't really accommodated as much as endured.

That's fine. I don't mind. Everyone is very polite and well meaning. They smile and nod and then do whatever they want. As long as you don't mind being out of control, this is great. Relaxing even.

The second day, they put her on an IV. At this point we were thinking "Okay, so the baby is coming today, surely!" But no. Basically the same as the first day. The contractions are a bit more painful and a bit more regular, but Anna can still sleep through them. More food. More relaxation. The IV comes out at 9PM and Anna sleeps soundly with basically no contractions during the night.

We speculate that Anna got a standard dose for a standard Japanese woman. But, as my wife says "I feel like an ostritch in a chicken coop". So it probably didn't have the intended effect. I'd tell you what they gave her, but I don't remember what they said, they didn't write it down, and even if they did, it would have been in Japanese which I don't read, write, speak, or understand.

Why would I doubt that they would adjust the dosage? Because "The Japanese Way" does not conform. Conformance is for individuals, and especially foreigners. "It has been decided" is the mantra here. So, if "it has been decided" that there is a standard dosage, then everyone will get the standard dosage. I'm not saying I'm sure that's what they did (because, no one tells us (and, we don't speak the language, so you can't really blame them!)) but it's how the Japanese do EVERYTHING ELSE so why would this be different?

Third day. More IV, with "stronger drugs" this time. Ho boy! Yes, they are stronger. IV drip starts at 9:30, and by 4:00 the baby is born. There may have been some weeping for a swift death somewhere between those two points, but I'll let Anna tell her side later. What concerns the account at this point is what follows shortly afterword.

The new baby is pretty purple when he comes out, but turns pink lying on the warming bed (you can see it to my left in the picture at the top). He cried very little, and opened his eyes almost immediately (See the picture below for an example). The nurses take his pulse, do a physical exam, everything is fine.

About half an hour later Anna is nursing him when the nurses (who, ironically, participate only in metaphorical nursing) come up to us. They say they want to "weight the baby" again, so we hand him over. I talk to Anna a bit, and assume they will bring the baby right back. After a few minutes I go into the other room and they are listening to his chest with a stethoscope. The nurses, or midwives, or doctors (Everyone seems to wear the same uniform, but I'm not paying attention to the staff at this point) talk a bit, and one of them cups her hand over Barnabas' mouth and starts administering oxygen.

At this point, I become suspicious that there are shenanigans afoot. I know what oxygen deprivation looks like (my little sister with Downs Syndrome came close a few times), and this baby doesn't have it. He's bright pink! They put an oxygen monitor on his foot (which reads 97-100%) and tell me that they need to put him under an oxygen hood. The reason? His breathing rate is 120 breaths per minute, and "normal" is 40-80. Hmm, okay, interesting. I'm not a doctor. What do I know?

Well, I know this. That's my baby.

I also know that they tore him away from nursing at his mother's breast... so, maybe he's upset about that? Could explain his elevated breathing rate. I'd hyperventilate too if I were him.

Next they unhook the oxygen monitor... which seems strange. Wouldn't you want to monitor his oxygen levels? I mean, it's a mobile device the size of a hair dryer. It's even got a handle on it! Why not just leave it hooked up and carry the thing?

My suspicion grows.

So, when they take the oxygen off (Why?) and begin wrapping him up, I hook the monitor up again. The nurses protest (Why?), but I stall them for thirty seconds. Barnabas' oxygen levels remain steady in the 97-100% range without oxygen support, so I figure it's safe to let them go for a few minutes. I unplug the monitor, and the nurses take him over to my wife.

They patiently explain that the baby needs to be under an oxygen hood. (Which, if that was the case, why did they take him off of oxygen before asking her permission?) They ask if this is okay. We both say, "No, we would rather he stay here with us." The nurses smile, say "Ok!" and leave...

With the baby.

So, there you have it. My newborn baby was kidnapped in broad daylight (or an artificial facsimile thereof) by a pair of Japanese nurses. They put him in a clear plastic incubator where he screamed for a bit and finally fell asleep. They won't let me near him, and the most Anna can do is reach her hands in to stroke his head and feet.

"But hang on!" you might rightly protest, "It's probably just a misunderstanding!"

Maybe at first, until we politely asked for him back about ten times. We asked orally. (Always politely and quietly... perhaps this was an error?) We signed a form of some kind. We wrote out our request on paper. We had someone who speaks excellent English and Japanese explain it to a (very patient) doctor. We offered to sign articles of indemnification (a form of ransom?). The response always boils down to "It has been decided that this is necessary."
Aww... thanks for showing him to us anyway. Awfully decent of you I suppose. (Also, "two by two, hands of blue")
For the Japanese, the person in control is anyone but the individual. The group decides everything, and individuals shrug and accept this. But, though I am working and living there, I am not from Japan, and do not share their ideals.

For people who identify with the United States of America (Americans?), the person in control is no one but the individual. The individual decides everything, and the group shrugs and accepts this. But, though I am a citizen there, I am not from the USA, and do not share their ideals.

For Internetizens... things are complicated. And yes, I am from the Internet.

And that's why you read this whole thing. You are from the Internet as well, and you want to form a solid opinion based on all available facts... because life is complicated...

What else do you want me to say? It's one thirty AM, and my youngest child (and, technically, also my wife) have been held against their will for about seven hours now. The kidnappers aren't even asking for anything. All they have done is try to make me feel bad for asking for my kid back!

And so politely too! You should have seen us swapping "sumimasen" back and forth. I'm sure I came off as an incoherent entitled American, just like the Japanese come off as smirking backstabbers. We were both trying so hard to make the best of a bad situation. Oh well.

So, I'm going to bed. And then I'm going back tomorrow morning to try again with the asking nicely. And I have no doubt that, if all is well, they will give us our baby back in a day or two.

Even so, being told "It will be over in a day or two." is hardly a justification for kidnapping.

So, if this has upset you even a fraction of how much it's upset me, maybe direct your frustration at Nagoya City University Hospital, where Anna and Barnabas Spooner are being held against their will. Anna was admitted 2014-07-15. Barnabas was born 2014-07-17.

Try not to burn the place to the ground... But at this point, I'd probably forgive you... As long as you're sure that "It has been decided that this is necessary."

But where to stop? After all, it's really Japan itself that condones kidnapping... And what nation can throw the first stone at that? The US is just as guilty, if not more so.

EDIT: As of the morning of 2014-07-18
They are letting Anna nurse him for five minutes every three hours. His formal diagnosis is "Tachypnea" (which just means "rapid breathing.") I hear that his breathing has returned to normal, and they are gradually tapering off the oxygen levels. I still suspect this has more to do with the infant's elevated stress due to being separated from his mother than any serious medical condition. We have not yet contacted the US Embassy, but we're certainly thinking about it.

EDIT: As of the evening of 2014-07-18
We are all discharged from the hospital and reunited at home. We had the help of a Japanese business associate who mediated a very helpful meeting which got things moving. Even so, I don't feel like justice has yet been served, as the culprits are at large and appear to have an un-altered mindset. In addition, I am distressed to reflect that this mindset of state ownership of infants to the exclusion of parental authority exists in every nation about which I know enough to perceive its existence. Authorities steal children at their own peril and the peril of the nations which they attempt to pilot.

EDIT: 2014-07-20
I have finally discovered that Tachypnea is basically the fancy-pants form of Hyperventilation Syndrome, for which the primary treatment is to reduce stress. Another somewhat effective treatment is to increase ambient CO2 levels and decrease oxygen levels. Exposing a hyperventilating person (with normal blood oxygen levels) to oxygen enriched atmospheres can cause Oxygen Toxicity! So, not only did the hospital take our baby against our will, but they then proceeded to treat him with methods which tend to exacerbate his symptoms and which could cause damage to his eyes and brain. I'm thankful that (despite all the mistreatment) he managed to self-correct and seems to be doing fine. The level of incompetence here is astounding.

I am in the process of securing the services of a lawyer in an attempt to make an international example of these assholes as a warning to every doctor in the world that they should never kidnap children, and never treat a child against their parents wishes.

EDIT: 2015-01-05
I've reviewed the above and excised the rant-y bits.
It seems that the general global policy is that doctors can get away with anything as long as they fill out their paperwork. This includes treating children against their parents will. Ironically, this just means that I'll be more reluctant than ever to submit myself or my children to the care of physicians. I suspect they won't miss my business, so everyone wins.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.japantoday.com/category/opinions/view/10-tips-on-giving-birth-in-japan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear all of this Paul!! Prayers sending your way! !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Sounds like an exciting adventure is over. Now lets see some pictures of mom and baby. Dad.

    ReplyDelete