Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Singapore: First Two Days

So, I'm in Singapore right now for a vacation and VISA renewal. I didn't take many pictures so far, since I hadn't looked up the local photography laws, so this will be mostly text.

The flight was nice. Mostly watched movies the whole time. "Her" (emotionally touching, philosophically bankrupt), "Captain America: Winter Soldier" (absurd but entertaining), and "Rob the Mob" (Didn't finish, no redeeming quality).

Arrived at airport, no trouble getting money, buying train ticket, walking to the room I'm renting. Really warm and humid, I sweat a lot. Now with videos!


Landlord has lots of animals, is a construction guy and native Singaporean. Talked about how the Chinese and Indians are "taking over Singapore" though I suspect this is mostly in regard to the low margin construction work that he's familiar with. Also talked with Zimba (Simba?) from Zambia who is working here. His wife and children are back in Africa; He visits them once every year or so.

Slept well, got up in the morning, walked to a local grocery store and bought some food. Ate while watching Spoiler Warning on Shamus' site.
The Wasabi sprouts were particularly interesting. This spread lasted me several days.
Walked to a local Methodist church and had a lovely time of worship and prayer. First really good worship time since before the Japan assignment. Very encouraging. Loved the scarf dance team during worship, and the long in-depth service (2 hours or so). Everyone asked me to bring my family next time.

Walked back to my room and worked on the computer until around 8pm when I went out. Rode the train, stopped in a high-rise residential area and bought dinner (oily noodles with trace meat and vegtables) and a drink (Bandung) for $2. Ate and then continued down-town. Bought some sandals (shoes and socks are way too hot and sweaty here) and wandered a bit. Really enjoyed Parkview Square.
A lizard in the light fixture at Parkview Square

Rode around on the train a bit more, headed home, went to bed.

The last part of my trip can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment