Monday, April 28, 2014

Being disabled in Nagoya

Something that I have found amazing and wonderful is how adapted to the disabled Nagoya is. I have seen maybe 20 disabled persons in the month that I have been here, say my first autistic boy on Saturday at the flea market, he was side skip-running down the rows of vendors.


Around the city, where we live, they have a "yellow brick road" for the blind. Its these yellow bricks that run along the middle of the side walk and along the subway platforms, with different kinds of bumps to indicate what the blind person should do. If the bumps are straight from one end of the brick to the other, its a safe to walk, or continue walking. Those with round bumps all over the brick indicate "stop and check for danger".


For those who are wheel bound this is a great location, because they have cut curbs everywhere and I think that almost all of the subway stations and train stations have elevators to get you to the platforms. This fact has been great for me, I can take my stroller on the train with little problem. Most people have been nice and some have even offered to help me off the train with all the children. I have also seen people offering to help out those with disabilities. The cut cubs are also great for getting around on a bike and lots of people commute on bike. 

I would suggest coming to Japan if your disabled and looking for an oriental excursion. The Nagoya castle has elevators built into it so you can go through the museum. The Toyoda Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology (http://www.tcmit.org/english/) is  very well suited for those with wheel chairs, you can go any where in the museum without the need of another person.  Just to name a few places that we have gone and seen others in wheel chairs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment